Children of Incarcerated Parents Learning Summit
May 14, 2008 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM , DePelchin Children's Center, Houston TX
This event launched Beyond the Bars: A Learning Initiative on Children with Incarcerated Parents, a new GCYF learning initiative sponsored by a major grant from the Annie E. Casey Foundation.
The May 14th learning summit was designed to give grantmakers a thorough orientation to the current state of the field in research, program strategies, and policy issues. Experts in all three arenas provided comprehensive overviews and materials. Discussion explored potential avenues of involvement for both individual foundations and communities.
GCYF extends special thanks to our local co-sponsors for their support in making this event possible: Meadows Foundation; Greater Houston Community Foundation; Greater Houston Grantmakers’ Forum, Children’s Affinity Group; Houston Endowment; Kronkosky Charitable Foundation; Paso del Norte Health Foundation; RGK Foundation; San Antonio Area Foundation; The Simmons Foundation; and United Ways of Texas.
Venue: This event was made possible by the generous support of the DePelchin Children's Center, which offered GCYF event space, and logistics support to bring this important event to Houston.
- To introduce foundations to the challenges facing children of incarcerated parents and program models proven successful in meeting those challenges.
- To brief foundations on policies impacting children of incarcerated parents and the connections between successful programming and policy changes.
- To invite foundations to participate in further exploration of the subject both individually and collaboratively.
- The Honorable John Whitmire, Dean, Texas Senate
- Dr. Stacey Bouchet, Senior Consultant, Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Dr. Creasie Hairston, Dean, Jane Addams School of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Melanie Smith, Outreach Program Manager, Girl Scouts of Central Texas
- Dr. Ben de Haan, retired Commissioner of Corrections, State of Oregon
- Madeline Ortiz, Director, Rehabilitation and Reentry Programs Division, Texas Department of Criminal Justice
- Renee Carl, Senior Program Manager, Policy Initiatives, GCYF
Pdf versions of some of the speaker presentations are available for download (see below).
Who are children with incarcerated parents? Where are they in your community? Click here to learn more about this vulnerable population with this extensive and up to date review of resources and literature from event speakers and other experts in the field.
- May 14, 2008 CIP Learning Agenda(173K) [download]
- May 14 Speaker Bios(91K) [download]
- Dr. Stacey Bouchet, Who are children of incarcerated parents?(85K) [download]
- Dr. Stacey Bouchet, Texas Statistics(371K) [download]
- Focus on Children with Incarcerated Parents(2965K) [download]
- Dr. Ben de Haan, System Challenges and Opportunities(72K) [download]
- Madeline Ortiz, Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice(499K) [download]
- Renee Carl, Federal Programs/Legislation that Positively Impact Children with Incarcerated Parents(17K) [download]